October 3, 2019
If you’ve landed on our Hawaii Marketing Tips blog while searching for Team Vision Marketing, please visit our home page, creative portfolio or client video testimonials. If you’re interested in learning more about Search Engine Optimization and SEO, please continue reading.
Ever wonder how Google’s algorithm works, and how it ranks the millions of web site content updates that are published every day? Sadly, we’ll never get to know exactly what factors go into their ranking system, but we do know that the Google team is constantly making to maintain their search engine algorithm. Although these updates usually go unnoticed, several times a year the algorithm goes under a big update called, the “Broad Core Algorithm Update.” With these big updates, you may notice some changes in your search engine optimization (SEO) rankings.
If you’re just hearing about the core update now, don’t worry. In this blog post, we provide a brief explanation on how these updates might affect your web site and what your brand should do after the update to upkeep the success of your online presence.
What is a “Broad Core Algorithm” Search Engine Update?
The broad core algorithm update is one big update that improves Google’s overall algorithm. With these updates, the algorithm changes the weight and importance of its ranking factors, then it reassesses everything on the internet, based on these improvements.
Broad core updates are not as major as the Penguin, Panda, Pigeon, or Fred updates, which were implemented to address specific faults or issues in Google’s algorithm. Instead, these updates are made to help Google provide the most relevant and best information to their audience.
What will happen to my web site’s SEO rankings?
Unfortunately, Google has a reputation for giving vague explanations on what issues the updates will address, so we don’t know exactly what will happen when the changes roll out. The rare times that Google has explained how an algorithm has changed, they were trying to promote a specific behavior, such as mobile responsiveness or the adoption of HTTPS as a required part of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) best practices.
However, you can expect to see notable changes to your web site ranking and web traffic. The improved algorithm will edit the web sites ranked on SERP, prioritizing the most relevant and up to date content. Luckily, Google announced the planned core updates in advance, which allowed companies to make last-minute improvements to their sites Search Engine Optimization strategies in order to lower the chances of any negative changes resulting from the algorithm update.
My web site SEO rank dropped! What should I do?
Remain calm. A shift in your SERP rank after a core update does not mean that Google is penalizing your site, nor does it mean that your web site is low quality. Keep in mind that this broad core update is reassessing your content against all the other content that has published since the last update, making newer and more relevant web pages more discoverable for everyone. Google used a wonderful analogy to describe how the core algorithm update operates:
“…Imagine you made a list of the top 100 movies in 2015. A few years later in 2019, you refresh the list. It’s going to naturally change. Some new and wonderful movies that never existed before will now be candidates for inclusion. You might also reassess some films and realize they deserved a higher place on the list than they had before.”
If your website is bringing in less traffic or is currently ranking lower on the Google search engine results, Team Vision Marketing suggests you do the following:
- According to Google executives, a drop in ranking probably lies in its relevancy factor. We recommend that you regularly post new blogs or publish new content on your web site.
- Look through your content. Make sure you are publishing well-written content that provides quality information and accurate data.
- Go through your web site to see if there are any technical issues, like slow loading pages or bad links, that you need to fix. You should be using Google Webmaster tools to regularly evaluate your site.
- Update and enhance your SEO strategies to make it easier for Google’s algorithm to crawl your website’s content.
Will my web sites SEO ranking recover?
Your ranking and web traffic may or may not improve in the next update. It’s not guaranteed that all your improvements will help your site recover to its former search engine ranking. Improving your web site’s rank on Google is not a one and done type of job. It requires regular maintenance to keep up with the competition. You may want to check out our recent Hawaii SEO Tips blog post, designed to help local Hawaii businesses improve their Search Engine Optimization strategies.
My web site rank went up! Will it stay like this forever?
That will depend on you. SEO best practices are constantly changing over time. Team Vision urges all brands, including the ones who are currently ranked at the top of the SERP, to regularly make improvements to their web site and their SEO. Regular web site maintenance is the key to sustaining your web site’s successful online presence.
To conclude, Google’s broad core algorithm update ensures that it’s providing the best information for everyone. The core update may or may not affect your online presence, but all brands should actively publish new content and practice webmaster approved SEO tactics. If you are a local Hawaii business that needs assistance with your advertising, web development and/or strengthening your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) efforts, reach out to Team Vision, a Hawaii full-service Hawaii advertising and digital marketing firm. We have designed and built web sites, and provided SEO management services for Hawaii clients on O’ahu, Maui, Kauai, Lana’i, and the Big Island of Hawai’i.
Phone: (808) 536-0416
Hear from Harry Saunders, President of Castle & Cooke Hawaii, on his experience working with Team Vision Marketing.
- How AI Will Transform Marketing
- How to Select The Best Hawaii Advertising Agency for Your Business
- Hawaii Social Media Marketing Tips
- How To Succeed in Zero-Click Search SEO
- Social Media Marketing Trends
- Everything You Need to Know About Instagram’s “Hidden Likes” Test
- Your Guide to Google Rich Search Features
- What to Expect After A Google Broad Core Algorithm Update
- Top 5 Facebook Story Sticker Tips
- Hawaii Search Engine Optimization – SEO Companies
- Top 10 Instagram Story Sticker Tips
- Know The Common Difference: Black Hat SEO vs. White Hat SEO
- 10 Types of Content That Will Boost Engagement
- Video Advertising is Growing – Are You Making the Shift?
- Why You Should Advertise on Facebook Messenger
- Buying Instagram Followers – Is It Worth The Money?
- Top 10 Instagram Hashtag Tips for 2019
- What Is IP Targeting and How Can I Use It for My Business?
- 2018 Social Media Trends: Were We Right On The Money?
- Dreaded Advertising Agency Requests Roundup